[ external image ]
The Inquirer 27 Oct 2014
Elon Musk warns the world, again, about a potential robot uprising
CHEERY NEWS FROM THE ELON MUSK camp: the technology advancer is still concerned about artificial intelligence, and is perhaps growing steadily more concerned.
Musk is so concerned about artificial intelligence, or AI, that he is calling for some sort of regulatory oversight.
We learned earlier that Musk believes robots may start to see humans as an annoying, trouble-causing nuisance, which to be fair we probably are, and choose to delete us.
Musk, who intends to move to Mars anyway, reckons that there will be no escape from this Asimovian nightmare.
He returned to the subject at the AeroAstro Centennial Symposium and to a team of students from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, explaining that humans are close to taking the lid off something that could cause problems.
"I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. If I had to guess at our biggest existential threat, it's probably that. So we need to be very careful," he said, according to a report on The Guardian.
"I'm increasingly inclined to think that there should be some regulatory oversight, maybe at the national and international level, just to make sure that we don't do something very foolish."
Robotics and AI, as anyone who recalls Metal Mickey will tell you, can cause problems, and Musk used some fantastical imagery to get his point across, warning that industry may be raising a demon and that planning missions to Mars would be a better way to spend time.
- by falkor Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:21 pm Christmas on the telly? View the latest post Replies 1 Views 112
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:13 am Motorway Patrol UK View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1219
- by Pedge Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 pm PCSO videos only!! View the latest post Replies 63 Views 10506
- by wiggum Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:10 am btp free travel?? View the latest post Replies 13 Views 1562
- by wiggum Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:01 pm roll call 2016 View the latest post Replies 10 Views 1699
- by Bert Moffat Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:12 pm All the best.... View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1222
- by Xray5 Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm Dash Cams View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1451
- by powdermonkey Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:00 am legal tender? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1687
- by falkor Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 pm 2014 PCSO documentary View the latest post Replies 1 Views 1159
- by gibbsw42 Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 pm error View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1095
- by falkor Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm first dungeon of 2015 View the latest post Replies 8 Views 1874
- by JimmyRiddle Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:39 am What type of equipment do you take out with you? View the latest post Replies 22 Views 3598
- by JimmyRiddle Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm Route to PC View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1604
- by the dark lord Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:30 am school Crossing patrols under threat? View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1494
- by naughtygoose Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm Polishing boots View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1436
- by powdermonkey Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:58 am swap a role View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1154
- by Big Brother Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm Boots (again!) View the latest post Replies 13 Views 2630
- by Raven Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:10 pm Recruitment is back on View the latest post Replies 15 Views 2100
OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.