[ external image ]
The Inquirer 27 Oct 2014
Elon Musk warns the world, again, about a potential robot uprising
CHEERY NEWS FROM THE ELON MUSK camp: the technology advancer is still concerned about artificial intelligence, and is perhaps growing steadily more concerned.
Musk is so concerned about artificial intelligence, or AI, that he is calling for some sort of regulatory oversight.
We learned earlier that Musk believes robots may start to see humans as an annoying, trouble-causing nuisance, which to be fair we probably are, and choose to delete us.
Musk, who intends to move to Mars anyway, reckons that there will be no escape from this Asimovian nightmare.
He returned to the subject at the AeroAstro Centennial Symposium and to a team of students from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, explaining that humans are close to taking the lid off something that could cause problems.
"I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. If I had to guess at our biggest existential threat, it's probably that. So we need to be very careful," he said, according to a report on The Guardian.
"I'm increasingly inclined to think that there should be some regulatory oversight, maybe at the national and international level, just to make sure that we don't do something very foolish."
Robotics and AI, as anyone who recalls Metal Mickey will tell you, can cause problems, and Musk used some fantastical imagery to get his point across, warning that industry may be raising a demon and that planning missions to Mars would be a better way to spend time.
- by powdermonkey Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 pm 'Chuggers' employed to flag down shoppers View the latest post Replies 2 Views 800
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:13 am Motorway Patrol UK View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1075
- by Pedge Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 pm PCSO videos only!! View the latest post Replies 63 Views 10195
- by wiggum Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:10 am btp free travel?? View the latest post Replies 13 Views 1437
- by wiggum Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:01 pm roll call 2016 View the latest post Replies 10 Views 1556
- by Bert Moffat Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:12 pm All the best.... View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1100
- by Xray5 Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm Dash Cams View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1324
- by falkor Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:54 pm MP says she wants police out and about instead of being sat in police stations View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1330
- by powdermonkey Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:00 am legal tender? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1545
- by falkor Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 pm 2014 PCSO documentary View the latest post Replies 1 Views 1052
- by gibbsw42 Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 pm error View the latest post Replies 3 Views 994
- by falkor Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm first dungeon of 2015 View the latest post Replies 8 Views 1723
- by JimmyRiddle Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm Route to PC View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1504
- by the dark lord Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 pm is anti climb paint legal? can you use it at home? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1320
- by naughtygoose Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm Polishing boots View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1325
- by powdermonkey Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:58 am swap a role View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1045
- by Big Brother Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm Boots (again!) View the latest post Replies 13 Views 2513
- by Raven Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:10 pm Recruitment is back on View the latest post Replies 15 Views 1976
OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.