• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Charlie Hebdo magazine

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Charlie Hebdo magazine

Post by falkor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:15 pm

One lone newsagent is leading the fight for freedom of speech by selling copies of the latest Charlie Hebdo magazine despite fears of repercussions.
Ila Aghera, 54, who runs Forge News, in the leafy Cheltenham village of Charlton Kings, has ordered more than 100 copies of the 'survivors' edition of the satirical magazine which is published on Wednesday.
The magazine's cartoon front cover of the Prophet Mohammed has sparked anger amongst some Muslims, with radical cleric Anjem Choudary describing it as "an act of war" and warning of "retaliations".
Despite this mum-of-two Mrs Aghera says she is doing the right thing.
"It is important for future generations for them to see this, to know what happened," she said.

By Nicola Harley 4:20PM GMT 13 Jan 2015
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Charlie Hebdo magazine

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Quite right too. Every newspaper and magazine should publish these cartoons on their front page as a demonstration of our right to free speech and in defiance of those thugs and bullies who would deny it to us and who would threaten violence to those who stand up for free speech.
Anjem Choudary is a well known extremist who approved of the 9/11 atrocity and who wants sharia law in this country. If he dislikes our way of life, our culture laws, traditions and beliefs that much then he is free to f*** off and live somewhere else.

I'm in full agreement with the French : Je suis Charlie.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:04 am

Ila Aghera who runs that newsagent shop is a very brave woman, the Daily Telegraph have done a great write up on it as well
"I am nervous. I'm shaking now, I'm only a little village shop but I don't care because what I am doing is right.

"We will be selling it from Friday. I think I'm the first one to do it. I might be old fashioned but I'm not going to be scared. I'm selling it as a one off. I have 80 orders so far and it is getting out of hand as people across the UK are calling and asking for them.

"All age groups should know what happened. What happened in France is very upsetting, it was very wrong for a silly cartoon that was a joke to make people laugh. I've ordered over 100 copies. I'm just doing my job and providing a service. If people want to read it they should be able to."
Great article, great woman and yes I agree with your words PM "Thugs and bullies" is appropriate here in fact it doesn't really go far enough TBH
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:48 pm

If I'd put the first words that came into my head I'd probably get reprimanded for excessive swearing!
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic