• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
As the horror of the Grenfell Tower block fire unfolded on Wednesday (June 14) morning, people from across the country have started asking what they can do to help those affected.

It's thought that around 500 people call the Lancaster West Estate high-rise home, and they need help - most of them will have lost everything.

getwestlondon has launched this JustGiving page, in aid of those affected by the horrific fire.

Although we'll never be able to replace their loved ones, memories and homes, we can help them rebuild.

We can show them that there's a whole country of people willing to support them as best as we can.

So if you can afford it, even just £1, please show these people some love at this terrible time and donate.

Motorway Patrol UK

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Motorway Patrol UK

Post by falkor » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:11 pm

“We’re not frustrated coppers,” says Tony, who used to work in the control centre at Southern Water (Mike is a qualified advanced driving instructor), after he has climbed back into the car and extinguished the ‘Stop’ message. “In fact, sometimes, we get frustrated with the coppers.”
Mike steers the Discovery to the hard shoulder, and the M26 grand prix resumes. I scan the passing cars for a raised finger. Not one.
“We do get abuse,” says Mike. “They know we have limited powers [TOs have no powers of arrest and cannot drive above 70mph, but they can stop a vehicle if they believe it is unsafe] but occasionally they thank us for getting them away safely.”
And for the TOs, it is all about safety. A few minutes later, as we’re heading towards the M25 at the TOs’ preferred 60mph cruise (“We don’t get in the way of slower trucks or faster cars and can spot things”) that instinct for safety is pressed into action when the TOs spot a broken-down Porsche 911 on the opposite carriageway. There’s no hard shoulder and the car has come to a halt, half on the verge, half in the road. Last December, in England, 16 vehicles stranded on the
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Motorway Patrol UK

Post by JimmyRiddle » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:13 am

Abuse for what? Trying to help people? The fact they're not law enforcement should tell people they're there to help them and not trying to do them for speeding etc.

With the PCSO role I can understand it's confusing as it's a half law enforcement and half not. Very confusing to the public, supervisors and PCSOs themselves. I can understand why people (unreasonably) assume a PCSO is a wannabe, but to give abuse to a HATO? What is wrong with people.

Living abroad has shown me just how acutely aware Brits are to someone's "status". It's like a checklist goes off in their head: "Is this person better than me or do they think they are?... They're just a PCSO/HATO etc so they can't do anything and are a failed cop so get lost", thus asserting their status as above you. Another small victory. I have also come to the conclusion they are so eagre to kick off, insult someone, be aggressive, sour grapes, difficulty containing that anger that bubbles just under the surface.

Yes Americans are also totally bizarre, but fudge me Brits are also a very odd bunch...
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic