• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Freee Travel ?? Not on our service

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

kentishman
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by kentishman » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:11 pm

Anonymous wrote: I am sure this will be resolved in the near future, I just wanted you all to be informed of the REAL situation

Thanks Guest for the friendly advise.
Thankfully i've known from day one where i stand re free travel for the Met PCSO's.

Busses......................................free travel.
Tubes and Overland trains..........No free travel.

However by the sounds of things here , you really need to get your bosses and the BTP bosses to communicate with each other as it's all very strange and confusing for the BTP PCSO's. :?
Kentishman.

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:29 pm

Taking all what you say at face value, i would be the first to put in a complaint AND a process for obstruction of police / and PCSO whilst on duty if i had to travel on the tube whilst being mainline BTP.Thhere"s no way i would back down on that one. It"s still confusing cause our trainer PC has told a BTP / PCSO today to get permission from his station duty manager for travel into work on the LU and make a note of his name etc and he"s been told that will cover him ???. :?
Jeff.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

jonathanjules
Rookie Member

Post by jonathanjules » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:08 pm

well i shall continue to use my free travel on the underground until a BTP offical i.e Inspector says otherwise!!!
jonathan jules

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:40 pm

kentishman wrote:Two of my colleagues were alerted to an incident on the Underground by a member of staff. Naturally they went down to investigate ofcourse and to their horror a senior member of staff went on the tannoy system and shouted "Can the PCSO's leave the station as you are not entitled to free travel".
This ofcourse was very embarrasing for them considering the station was packed with commuters and my colleague has since advised me NOT to get involved with anything on the railways. :?

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! I'd be tempted to have my boss make an official complaint, along with a nasty request for the TFL staff not to bother the PCSO's in future and to deal with things themselves.
Big brother is watching you.

kentishman
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by kentishman » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:19 pm

I couldn't believe it myself BB.

I believe my colleague had a few strong words with the Underground staff at the time and he's still adament that he's not getting involved with anything that involves the railways. :(
Kentishman.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:18 am

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I think that "supervisor" has shot himself in the foot, by telling the only people who were prepared and willing to patrol his service for no extra cost to get lost.
Big brother is watching you.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

last month's news

Post by falkor » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:23 pm

:-] last month's news: :DD

Police await Livingstone's say on free travel

LONDON Mayor Ken Livingstone is still to decide on an Epping Forest Council request to allow uniformed police community support officers free travel on the London Underground in the Epping Forest district.

Council leader John Knapman raised the issue with Tube chiefs after the council agreed it was prepared to contribute £90,000 towards the cost of six additional community support officers, but he had concerns that their use might be restricted if they could not use the Tube to get between Epping and Loughton.

London Underground said the matter could only be decided by Mr Livingstone who, in a letter to the council, has said he will make a decision within two months.

Mr Knapman said: "Certainly the letter was positive and I'm very hopeful that we will get away with paying around 7p (to cover the costs) for an annual pass instead of £700.

"It would appear that the mayor has accepted that the marginal cost of allowing police community support officers free travel is negligible and that the benefit of their presence can significantly benefit London Underground."

2:33pm Friday 25th March 2005

hehe cop that last sentence:
their presence can significantly benefit London Underground.

there ya go, I think that clarifies quite a lot :tee:

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: last month's news

Post by jimbo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:53 pm

falkor wrote:hehe cop that last sentence:
their presence can significantly benefit London Underground.

there ya go, I think that clarifies quite a lot :tee:

Trouble causer... :roll: :wink:
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:20 pm

Must admit i always carry my Oystercard with me when out on patrol just in case ! :lol:

mattd
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by mattd » Wed May 04, 2005 12:32 pm

Surely if a PCSO is acting in the course of their duties (ie chasing a suspect) then to stop them would be obstruction which i believe is an offence under the PRA.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by alihowe » Wed May 04, 2005 12:46 pm

I think it's outrageous if a PCSO is 'on a job' and they are not permitted free Tube Travel..... :twisted:

Kentish with regards to the Tannoy Incident, did you feel your little cheeks go pink :?: :oops:

Mine would have done :!:
[ external image ]

GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Wed May 04, 2005 4:38 pm

I have it on some fairly good authority that PCSO"s will get free travel off duty on the tube / DLR in the next few weeks when the inks dries on the paper work from TFL.
Jeff.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

Post by Guest » Thu May 05, 2005 11:38 pm

mattd wrote:Surely if a PCSO is acting in the course of their duties (ie chasing a suspect) then to stop them would be obstruction which i believe is an offence under the PRA.

As far as I am aware you can only enter private property if you are to save life or limb, besides the Railway have their own laws to run by as I'm sure the BTPPCSO's will learn about :)

Headset 57 wrote:I have it on some fairly good authority that PCSO"s will get free travel off duty on the tube / DLR in the next few weeks when the inks dries on the paper work from TFL.
Jeff.

You can have it on excellent authority (thats me :) ) that ALL PCSO's including the MET will be allowed free travel whilst on duty in full uniform. BTP PCSO's will be entitled to free travel at all times on production of there 'staff card'. These changes should take efect from 22nd May 2005

markluker
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by markluker » Sun May 29, 2005 12:27 am

Just thought I would say I get free travel on LU/DLR/Tram links/Buses/SW trains/SE trains!
"Six men can carry you or 12 men can judge you.
You decide!" -- a Dogism

Taffy
Hexblade Ranger
Hexblade Ranger

Post by Taffy » Sun May 29, 2005 12:52 am

The problem is its not in BTP's hands.
Thereason different BTP divisions in london have different rules is because the rail companys who have to agree with it have a different opinion.
For PC's it is slightly different, a) because the benifits of a copper travelling for free (on and off duty) are more obvious, and importantly, more familiar, and bossess are more comfortable with it.
We are now treading onto new ground with you guys.

As for gaining entry to stations, PACE would apply to anyone saving life/limb and certainly to PC's for instant pursuit of offenders, not sure if tha applys to you though, perhaps anyone else can expand.
I also believe there is a railway byelaw(possibly comes under the trespass law) that gives a specific exemption to constables in the execution of their duty. (ie on duty patrolling).
This of course needs to be specifically targetted at the railway (not simply using it as a means of transport, unless the specific agreement to travel is in place), but when does travelling stop and patrolling begin? :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic